When I met Kumar about a decade ago, he introduced me to the unique world of men's fashion. That initial arousal of my interest in this sub-discipline has grown and has been held ever since. Well, at the very least, I've been "sensitized" to it and can now spot (and smell!) a faux-pas from a mile away! And now, Kumar and myself are forming a dynamic duo (of sorts!) and together, we're endeavoring, to gently nudge and guide men, on to the path of sartorial "enlightenment."

Monday, June 20, 2011

Week Thirty-seven: Black & White



(photo credit: Deb S of PIX Me Photography)


I kinda always knew that if ever I were to run dry of ideas for a post, I could always talk about black & white as a color palette (or a non-color palette, that is, as some experts maintain that black is a shade and white's a tint, ya-di-ya-di-ya...) and still be fashionably relevant, as timeless and classic as B&W is. If I had my way, though, black is all I'd ever wear, everyday, without exception! In a store, I just gravitate and beeline towards black, pretty much the same way I will invariably pick out, every single time, the exact same shade of lipstick from a make-up countertop display of a hundred variations of reds and pinks and everything in between. Needless to say, it's actually Kumee who coaxes me out of my somber comfort zone and encourages me to to wear color. (Personally, I find black monochrome on guys too costume-y (think salsa dancer/figure skater!) and downright tackville.

Sartorially, white complements black like nothing else, it's no wonder that it's the attire "de riguer" for formal occasions (e.g. "black tie events"). I love how it eliminates the guesswork in finding the perfect outfit in such contexts for the sterner sex...thank God for that for left to their own devices, just what combinations would they come up with? Now that's a scary thought! Here's Kumee in a less stuck up B&W combination: (the Hugo Boss purist)

No comments:

Post a Comment